Frequently Asked Questions

The KOTA staff as well as the Board and Committee Chairs would be happy to assist you with any questions or concerns that you have. As well, below are a few items that you may find useful.

Which address should I use for CEU and/or membership?

  • All correspondence should be sent to:

KOTA Central Office
825 S. Kansas Avenue, Suite 500
Topeka, Kansas 66612

We can be reached by phone at 785.232.8044 or toll free at 877.904.0529, by fax at 785.232.2206, or email


Is CEU Management through KOTA mandatory for Kansas OTs? Can I submit my own CEUs to the Kansas Board of Healing Arts?

  • KOTA CEU Management is not a manditory service. If you choose to keep your own CEUs you will be contacted directly by the Kansas Board of Healing Arts should your license be audited. At that time you will be required to submit your continuing education information to the KSBHA reviewers.
    The benefit of KOTA CEU Management is that all CEUs can be submitted to the Central Office and reviewed after each class is completed.
    If you do not choose this option, you run the risk of being short CEU hours if you are denied for any reason. KSBHA has requested that KOTA be the vehicle for Kansas OT CEU management.
    KOTA provides a website where OTs/OTAs who have paid their CEU management fees can log-in and view their current CEU status, including those that are still in the review process as pending.


Are self-study courses acceptable for CEU credit?

  • A course is considered self-study if it requires pre and post tests and a certificate of completion is awarded. A maximum of 20 self-study hours is allowed per two-year cycle. Any additional self-study hours will not be approved once the maximum is met.


I renewed my license online, but I have not received it yet. Why not?

  • This is a question that should be referred to the Kansas State Board of Healing Arts (KSBHA). KOTA does not handle licensure. To contact KSBHA, contact Katy Lenahan, Licensing Administrator for KSBHA, at 785.296.7413, or email her directly at


I paid my membership fee to KOTA. Why do I have to pay another fee for CEUs?

  • CEU Management is an entity separate from KOTA. While KOTA handles the duties of CEU Management, it is separate and distinct from KOTA membership.


What Occupational Therapy Schools are located in Kansas?

  • Occupational Therapy Master's Programs:

University of Kansas at the Medical Center
Rockhurst University-Kansas City

  • Occupational Therapy Assistant Programs:

Brown Mackie College - Salina, KS and Kansas City/Olathe, KS
Metropolitan Community College / Penn Valley-Kansas City, MO
Neosho County Community College-Ottawa, KS
Newman University-Wichita, KS
Washburn University - Topeka, KS

  • Pre-OT Programs ( for those intending on eventually earning their Master's Degree in OT. Not an assistant program):

University of Kansas-Lawrence, KS
Kansas State University-Manhattan, KS

Kansas Occupational Therapy Association
825 S. Kansas Avenue, Suite 500
Topeka, Kansas 66612-1253
Toll Free: 877.904.0529
Fax: 785.233.2206
© 2011 - 2019 KOTA | Contact Us | Site Map | website by dbVisionWorks